Thursday, April 25, 2013

Choosing happiness...

Spring is here. The weather is beautiful. The semester is almost over. Summer is near. And I can't stop smiling and laughing. It's like, all of a sudden, I'm let myself be happy. Enjoy the moment.

I'm looking back on this past semester. I've learned so much. I've had so many great experiences. From volunteering at KC Fashion Week to having some of my art on display in my school's art gallery. I've met some really amazing/funny/talented/inspirational people. I've remembered what it's like to be silly with (new) people. I've learned to dance as I draw in art class. (It helps. Trust me.) I've learned to get up in front of my peers and give speeches with confidence. I've learned how to ask question after question and then ask another question just to make sure I understand. I've remembered how to let my guard down without fear of being hurt. I've learned how to see the beauty in the challenges I face. I've come to realize that I can learn a lot from people I would have dismissed before.

A lot of this learning comes from just CHOOSING to find the happiness in each day. When you stop putting up barriers, you can let so much GOOD in. When you choose to say "good morning" to people instead of hiding behind your phone, people generally say "good morning" back to you. When you let people see who you really are, they, in turn, will do the same. If you go out into the world looking for the good, you WILL find it. But you must learn to LOOK.

Maybe life isn't perfect. Maybe you are having a bad day. Life can still be good. You can still be happy overall. Maybe it's the silly things. Surrounding yourself with people who make you laugh. Learning about things that interest you. Watching Bill Murray and Tom Hanks movies on a Saturday. Cheering on your favorite sports team. Falling in love with a thousand people you'll probably never meet. Finding your perfect song to sing in the car. There is something to be said about choosing to be happy.

Sometimes, you just gotta be happy. It's amazing how great it can feel to just let yourself find happiness. In this moment. In this place. Choose to be happy, and you WILL be happy.


No comments: